Monday, November 20, 2006

Let Us Get it Schtarted*

Lets face it. Indian accents are funny (Indians from Asia, not America). I never really thought about it prior to medical school. But I have noticed lately that many of my professors have very THICK Indian accents. Currently, 2 out of 4 lecturers have an Indian accent (like my Wirology* professor). I only point this out because of a comical incident that was had today in class. We were discussing the appendix (the organ, not the list of words at the back of your book). Our professor stated that in 50 million years humans would evolve to not have an appendix. I'll come back to that point shortly. He also claimed that our "pinky toes" are unnecessary as well which would cause them to fall off, at which point we would throw a celebratory extravaganza. Yipee. Just then another professor walked in the back and we were lucky enough to hear this little gem:

"Dr. Haiku, welcome. We were just talking about losing our little toes and having a party!"

Now imagine that all of the "W's" are pronounced with "V's" and any "T" sounds like he is trying to say "tart". Hilarious. I let out a huge "belly laugh". It was classic.

OK, back to my appendix. So I guess my professor is trying to imply evolution. An interesting point but I have a couple of questions. If we really are "evolving" and came from monkeys...why are there still monkeys? AND how come we don't see any "monkey boys" popping up all across the country from those dumb little monkeys evolving into humans? I guess I must have slept through that part of lecture or that entire course of biology in undergrad. If evolution does exist, I want a pet monkey boy. So until I get one, evolution will always be a mout point to me.

Well, until this gets straighted out, I guess I'll just concern myself with more important matters...laughing at funny Indian accents.


*Indian accent implied

No comments: